Tangaza Biashara yako hapa kwa bei nafuu wasilana nasi kupitia 0712 455 139 au 0687 233 209 wote mnakaribishwa. Advertise your Business here at very cheap price Contact us through +255 712 455 139 or +255 687 233 209 your all welcome.

Advertise your Business here at very cheap price Contact us through +255 712 455 139 or +255 687 233 209 your all welcome.
HIP HOP TO  ME
 
    b-boys.com | what is hip hop to me comments.
Hip-Hop Article Comments
Here is an email that I received in Response to my 'What is Hip Hop to Me' article.
I hope my e-mail isn’t necessarily off the subject. I am twenty-four; male; graduate student, and a former student of Hip-Hop. I say a former student because I no longer financially support (buy) Hip-Hip, nor I am necessarily inside the culture. I do, however, still listen to Hip-Hip on occasion. I occasionally listen to Hip-Hop because it was an intimate part of my socialization; it informed my language and appeared in my dreams, so I was conscious of it even when I slept. I used to rhyme and DJ, but I was better at former. I remember saving up what little money I could get just to buy a maxi-single so that I could rhyme over the instrumental and pretend that I was Rakim.

It was not a lack of skill, desire, or support (familial or otherwise) that made me pursue education as opposed to stardom. Reality was the deciding factor. I know that I would not and could not make a decent living being a Hip-Hip artist, unless I was willing to sacrifice my integrity or spend my life hustling my demo, among other things. I know there are many people in and outside the mainstream with integrity, but most are outside the mainstream. Yet, I don’t want to give the impression that money matters, but if one does work, one doesn’t eat. I never wanted to commercialize myself or see the music become commercialize, but I had no control over that.

Hip-Hip is now a microcosm of the broader culture, whereas many individuals are rich but the masses of Hip-Hop artists and the people to whom they claim to represent are far from wealthy or a comfortable life. We have forgotten that we have to suffer, sacrifice, and then resurrect. All we seem to care about are the ends supposedly justifying the means (cause and effect). We are into hero worship and individualism. We have forgotten that, individualist culture led Anglo Americans to deny, for a time, the humanity of all except Europeans and their descendants. In the process they hoarded wealth and influence among those who generally looked the same and reason in similar fashion. They established an American way of looking and thinking that has given the U.S. a great advantage in the world. Nevertheless, it has created an exploitative world economy that requires an uneven distribution of resources and is bringing the globe's regenerative capacity to the breaking point. The emphasis on individual achievement has provided some of our citizens with phenomenal resources and independence--but in most instances it was through the sacrifice of the many for the sake of the few.
I guess the state of Hip-Hop is truly the state of the people who comprise the culture. We fail to realize that there is a difference between revolution, evolution and simply change. Hip-Hop was once a revolutionary art-form. It is no longer revolutionary; it has not evolved, it has simply changed. Hip-Hop artists today are not that much better lyrically, conceptually, or creatively than Rakim, Kane, G. Rap, KRS-One, Public Enemy, Ultramagnetic MC, or De La Soul­-to name a few­-were over a decade ago. We are confusing popularity and record sales for innovation and creativity. Just because the Roots or Gangstar finally go gold doesn’t mean they are now creative, for they have always been creative and innovative. When I look at who is setting trends and being accepted as Hip-Hop it almost scares me. I don’t think Afrika Bambaataa, Kool Herc, or Grandmaster Flash have received any royalties for what they help create­-whether they want it or not--nor do they even like the major artists that saturate our airwaves or televison screens, and our minds and culture­to some degree.

We are getting lost in our definition of what is real or authentic, what is creative and innovative, and what is simply fashionable, popular, and money-making. We have forgotten the elements of Hip-Hop, most of which you talked about. I just wish more people could reminisce like you, but the major artists today too young and uneducated to even comprehend the history that is so vital to our progress­if we are to make progress. In essence, this is just a cryptic way of saying that your article­-your words­-reminded me why I was a student of Hip-Hop. I walk the same path and endure the same struggles you did, and it is a reflection eternal to read your words.

Until my soul is deleted,

Kenyatta Hodge
===== Our history shapes us; reflection is essential to our identity; we reflect on our past to hear our ancestors spirits echo; our ancestors walk and talk with us daily; we are born to them; they are present in blood before we become conscious; they inform our consciousness, our language, and our dreams; they are our reflection eternal, and our redefinition.

(Much Respekts to Kenyatta for sharing this experience and his views on our Culture! - One Love)
Main Page | Link to Us | About Us | Bookmark Us | SiteMap
B-Boys.com™ All Rights Reserved © 1998-2002 and beyond.
Hip Hop don't stop! Independently owned and operated.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...